After the organic product leaves the field, it is possible to undergo several phases until consumption. All stages require the same care, professionalism and compliance with the regulations of organic agriculture by the organic producers, in order to assure that the final product is 100% organic.
Organic Products’ Processing
The processors, the sellers and the food distributors of organic products have the same goals – supply foods that respect the environment and the natural cycle. The following are the principal values in the agricultural products’ processing:
- The use of additives and the food processing are limited
- Only small quantities of synthetic ingredients are allowed
- No use of genetically modified organisms is allowed
Legal frame for the organic products’ processing
The producers and the processors are obliged to follow specific legal requirements so that the products bear the European Logo and the detection about the Organic Agriculture.
According to the EU Regulation on the organic agriculture:
- Most ingredients will come from organic production
- The non organic agricultural ingredients may be used only if recognized by the European Commission or the country-member
- Only small quantities of additives or assistant means of processing may be used under specific conditions
- Technical flavors, coloring or taste substances are not allowed
- The organic and the non organic materials should be stored, traded and processed separately in all cases
Controls for the organic product processors
According to the above requirements and specifications, the organic sector’s processors in the European Union are inspected at least once a year in order to assure the compliance with the EU legal obligations.